Monday, August 29, 2011

Yellowstone

Arriving at the Yellowstone entrance there is no real line with just three cars ahead of me. A ranger walks out to me and asks if I have an annual pass. I do, so she lets me bypass the 'line'.  Just inside, I view a large herd of Bison.


I stop and view some geysers in the Norris Geyser Basin on my way to Old Faithful.There is a boardwalk through the basin and geysers are everywhere. Signs warn hikers not to leave the path. There have actually been people who've fallen into the pools and died.






The boardwalk.
A view from the boardwalk.


On the way to Old Faithful, I spy a grizzly bear who had just killed an Elk and was resting after eating half of it.


I wasn't the only one watching. A ranger made sure everyone stayed at a safe viewing distance.



I arrive just as Old Faithful finished. It blows about every 90 minutes so I tour the area looking at other geysers while I wait for the next show at 6:41 +/- 10 minutes the sign says.

This hot pot is boiling.


Vents and boiling pots line the small river.


It's about time for Old Faithful, so I had back to that area and encounter some Bison which can roam freely throughout the park.


I detour around them keeping to a safe distance. I make it to the bleachers where I wait for the show to begin.



And 'thar she blows!' Only three minutes late.


I leave for Cody, Wyoming where I'll spend the night. It's not all that far, but the roads in the park are posted at 35 or 45 mph and you can't make much time. It's eighty miles away and it starts raining too slowing me down even further.  But it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment