Friday, August 19, 2011

YellowStone Loop

Some of you have expressed interest in my trip, so I thought I would make my pictures and comments available through this blog.

I will head out on Monday Aug 22 and end up home sometime around Labor Day. I'm not putting too much advanced planning into where I will stay preferring the serendipity of just ending up somewhere.

Here is the man and machine before being loaded down with gear.


My route will be roughly to drive north thru Sperryville, Va then head west on route 50 through West Virginia and then super slab it to Rapid City, SD then to Yellow Stone.  From there I will meander south through Wyoming and Colorado before heading home.

Here is the route.

View route in Google Maps


Google maps says the route is about 5000 miles. A horse walks about 4 miles an hour. Traveling ten hours a day or 40 miles a day, the trip would take a little over 4 months by horse giving one perhaps too much time to savor the simple things in life. I have to do this in 14 days which amounts to 360 miles a day. Not too bad.

2 comments:

  1. You should post a live link to google maps (like this one http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
    217528984238332266413.000436051504390bf0062 I made for Konstantin) so we can zoom in to your routes and waypoints.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I set a link to Google Maps

    ReplyDelete