Monday, August 29, 2011

Wyoming Dinosaur Center

It's Sunday. I wake up to overcast skies and I see that it is already storming over the mountains. I am ultimately going to Green River, Wyoming where I've booked the next nights room and had planned on going through the Tetons via Jackson, but with it raining and low speed limits, I know it will take forever.
 

So, I decide to head straight there and stop in the Wyoming Dinosaur Center in Thermopolis, Wyoming. Most of the fossils are from Wyoming and were dug up by the people who run the center.

From the wiki page: " Recently the museum made headlines when it acquired the Thermopolis Specimen of Archaeopteryx, which was in private hands for decades before an anonymous donor gave it to the museum."

They allow picture taking so I did. Here is archaeopteryx.


Some more fossils in the center.




Sights along the way.


Much of Wyoming is desolate and you often drive 60 miles or more before encountering a gas station. You must keep this in mind when traveling in the part of the country.


I pull into Green River and call it a day.



No comments:

Post a Comment