Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dead Gps

My bike is loaded for the trip and I depart.



I stop at our local CVS drug store for some ear plugs. When I started my motorcycle, my GPS didn't turn on which it always does. Last night in Athen, Ohio, I tried charging it, but its as dead as a brick. This was just sent back to me by Garmin and was an out-of-warranty  replacement for my original unit. Oh well, I guess I'll navigate the old fashioned way.

Leaving Madison, Virginia, I take route 231 a scenic-byway to Sperryville passing Old Rag mountain a popular hiking destination.

I take Rt. 211 crossing the Blue Ridge at Thornton Gap. This road is fun and popular with motorcyclists who unfortunately race on the road prompting the state to post warning signs.


211 eventually takes me past Luray Caverns and then to Rt 81 which I take north to get onto Route 50. This route is just as fun and loaded with winding mountain roads. My speed varies from 20 to 60. Today I won't make much distance. But this part of the country is scenic so I don't mind.


Just out of Winchester I noticed a little retro motel with character called the Hayfield Motel.

Next to each room is a little carport for your car. No ugly franchise here. Past Clarksburg, Rt. 50 turns into super slab and I time to Athens, Ohio where I stop for the night.

It's foggy out, so I'm waiting till it burns off before I depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment