Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sunday - no riding - I am shocked by the tent cities in San Diego.

This is not the America I grew up in. This is the burnt out end product of neo-liberal political theory. Ideas have consequences. In spite of what Margret Thatcher once said, humans are not social atoms. Society exists.

वसुधैव कुटुम्बकम - The whole world is one single family.
Upanishads.

Human beings are not tradeable commodities. We bare the costs of others who cannot bear them because that is what being humane means. We have values that are deeper and broader than soul destroying economic efficiency. Humanity is one single family...forgive me...the photos of Salgado and the recent events in my home town of Charlottesville, VA still linger on my mind.

I'm so liberal, I drink this.


A society that exploits the weakest is not a society I want to live in. The essence of morality is that the strong protect the weak. Ethics is meaningless without this core insight...that in a nutshell is what liberals fight for.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment