Saturday, August 12, 2017

I stayed at the Orient Land Trust until Thursday morning when I left to make my way to San Diego. I crossed the Continental Divide at Monarch Pass. The temperature when I crossed was around 50 degrees. Although Monarch Pass is over 11,000 feet, this is still a bit chilly for August.


You can see the bike fully loaded. The saddle bags, or panniers, hold things I want to get to quickly. The grey bag on the passenger seat holds clothes, etc. The roll above that is my tent wrapped in the foam padding I use to sleep on. Behind that is a sleeping bag. The gray bag hanging off the back holds water, food and an extra visor for my helmet - I have a tinted one for day and a clear one for night. Long ago I quickly learned that trash bags are your friend. Even though my bags are water resistant, they are not water proof. When driving through prolonged heavy rain, some water will seep through the zippers and stitching. Everything I do not want to get wet is placed inside a trash bag. This has worked very well for me. I also wear a rain suit when I anticipate heavy rain.

The item in front of the seat sitting atop the gas tank is called a 'tank bag'. It holds glasses, maps, cell phone, etc, i.e. anything I want to access easily.

I am headed to Las Vegas for the night. Passing Gunnison, Co, I take a picture of the Dillon Pinnacles.


Just outside of Montrose, Co, I stop at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park to have my passport stamped. I have been here before, so I don't spend much time sightseeing. I have a long way to go to get to Las Vegas.



My route takes my across Utah. I have visited all the National Parks in Utah, but have never driven I-70 so I stop to take a few pictures. This is Eagle Canyon west of Green River, Utah.






Utah has incredible scenery and if I stopped for every photo op I'd never make it to Vegas in a reasonable amount of time. I didn't stay at the strip, but stayed just outside of Vegas at a place with a laundry so I can do some clothes.



No comments:

Post a Comment