Monday, August 7, 2017

Day 2

Today's ride was under an overcast sky and cool temperatures which only once reached 77 and spent most of the time in the low sixties. When I left Virginia yesterday, it was 57 and barely got into the seventies all the way to St. Louis. This is odd summer weather. 
I stopped for the day early in Colorado Springs due to rain over the Rockies rather than pushing on. Today was just hard riding and stopping only for gas and a few stops to give my bottom a rest. At least I didn't ride through driving rain like I did yesterday. "Does that thing actually keep you dry," an old guy asked when I stopped for gas. "Yes, it actually does," I answered. My Keen Targhee II hiking shoes are water proof too so the only thing that got wet were my gloves. Mercifully it wasn't typical August weather because I get soaked from sweating. If I ever need to replace it, I will buy a vented rain suit.

Tomorrow will be a short day and more scenic. My route will follow the Arkansas River by Royal Gorge to, Salida, the headwaters of the river. 

Royal Gorge is a popular white water rafting area.

No comments:

Post a Comment